Are you missing out on events taking place in the Harlan County School District? If so, sign up today for the HCPS news service which delivers school and district information to your email in a timely manner.
A variety of informational items are distributed with busy parents and active community members in mind. If you wish to receive this information, send your email and contact information to email@example.com or use the form to the right.
As always, we thank you for taking the time to show an interest in our schools and playing an active role in the lives of not only our students, but our faculty and administration as a whole.
Information Numbers added at HCHS:
Now you have the opportunity to call and receive cancellation information from Harlan County High School. Two numbers are available to access up-to-date information about the School, Clubs, Activities, Sporting Events and more at HCHS. To access general closing/cancellation information on Clubs, School, Activities, and Meetings call (606) 574-2099. For Athletic Events and Practice cancellation call (606) 574-2098.
Announcements, Upcoming and Current Events:
- For a parents guide to school accountability and testing, please click here.
See the brochures and text versions near the bottom of the page.
- Buy A Brick! Honor A Miner! Harlan County High School Coal Miners’ Memorial Stadium Phase I Construction is currently underway. Show your support by honoring or memorializing your coal mining loved one or show your support for Harlan County Coal in general. The new stadium will feature a walkway with engraved brick pavers. In years to come you will be able to bring your children and grandchildren to the “Miners Walk” to see your family name as a permanent legacy of Harlan County Coal Miners’ Memorial Stadium. Information & Details, Sample Wording, Order Form
- The Harlan County Walking Club hours for this school year will be Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. on the indoor track at Harlan County High School. Membership is free and open to the public. All ages are welcome to walk or jog at their own pace. For more information, contact Cecilia Adams, Harlan County Community Education Director, at 573-4330 ext. 2061.
- The Harlan County Board of Education meeting schedule for 2013 has been set. Please click here for a printable copy.
- Freshman orientation for Harlan County High School freshmen will be held on Thursday, August 2, at 6 p.m.
- 2012 - 2013 School Calendar
- Free Back-to-School Wellness Clinic
- Drew Chamberlain takes over as HCHS Golf Coach
- Evarts Elementary School will be hosting a “Back-to-School” Open House on Tuesday, August 7th from 12:00-3:00 PM. Free prizes, food, and games will be provided. New students may also enroll during this time.
- JACES is searching for a currently enrolled college student (preferably enrolled in Education) who is a local resident and willing to take on an Americorps position at JACES. The position pays $12,000.00 per year and offers insurance plus a tuition stipend of $5,000.00. Contact Mr. James Clem at (606) 573-1950 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Howard named Superintendent of Harlan County Schools
- HCHS Football Schedule (Note: the Morristown West game on August 18 - Kickoff is at 4:30 at Morristown)
- HCHS Football Freshmen & JV Schedule
- HCHS Volleyball Schedule
- The Harlan County Black Bears will play Corbin (one-half) and Clay County (one-half) in the grid today, August 9, 2012 beginning at 6 p.m. at Corbin. (THE FIELD IS NOT AT CORBIN HIGH SCHOOl) Directions: Turn left off of 25 (McDonalds) onto Masters Street.
Stay straight on Masters Street until you see Hometown Bank on the left and you will turn left there on Ford Street (Av).
Go to stop sign and right turn right onto Roy Kidd Avenue. Once you cross small bridge, Campbell Field Denes Stadium is on the left.
Street parking is recommended on Roy Kidd Avenue and in lots on Roy Kidd Avenue. Parking is limited at the stadium, which is located on Barbourville Street.
- County district records spike in enrollment
- 2012 HCHS ACT Scores Build On Improvements from 2011 with Continued Increases!
- HCHS Band Camp
- Harlan Co. vs Tates Creek
- History Days at the Kentucky Coal Museum & Portal 31
- HCHS Football Field Construction (scroll mid-way down the page; if no images appear, hit f5 on your keyboard to refresh the page)
- The Harlan County Black Bears will play Gate City, Va., Friday at 7:30 p.m. in the ARH Bowl. The game will be held at the Jim “Big Man” Davis Stadium on Ball Park Road, Harlan, due to ongoing construction at the new field. Student tickets are on sale at the high school during lunch period on Friday for $2.
All tickets are $5 at the gate. No adult tickets are being sold in advance.
The Harlan County School District has announced its senior citizens pass policy for athletic events. Persons 65 and over are eligible to obtain the passes from the Central Administrative Office, 251 Ball Park Road. Identification is required when requesting the passes which are recorded. All previous passes issued are null and void. Passes for 2012-2013 are now available.
- Harlan County High School will distribute to students the first trimester report cards during the student advisory period, the start of the second period, on Monday, November 12..
A copy of student report cards may be picked up at the guidance desk lobby from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. during school hours Monday thru Friday by listed parents and guardians.
Parents should also be able to access their child’s report card from parent portal. If you are in need of a password, please contact the school.
- HCHS Bear Tracks online school newspaper
- David Alexander Benning a 7th grader from Rosspoint Elementary School in Rosspoint, KYwas recently selected to participate in the National Youth Storytelling Showcase in Orem, Utah
- Miners’ Stadium mini brick pavers ready for pick up; new orders being taken through February
- Harlan County High School Dance Team will be hosting a DANCE DAY! Come and DANCE with us! Registration is Friday, Feb 1st at 4:00 in the HC Cafeteria. Performance is Monday, February 4th – Harlan County boys vs. Barbourville (halftime) All participants will be divided by age groups and will be taught a short routine on FRIDAY February 1st from 4-6pm. No one needs to pre-register their girl. Cost is $10/girl and that will include their admission to the game. Age groups include:
Age 3- 2nd grade,
3rd- 5th grade,
- All Harlan County High School Students are encouraged to take part in the 21st Century Learning Center’s ACT workshops that will be held on Monday through Thursday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. until February 28th. Parents are urged to encourage their high school students to take advantage of this opportunity. Workshops are being offered in math, language arts/reading, and science each day. The workshops are aimed at the junior class, but are open to any student at HCHS who has an interest in preparing for the ACT. Snacks will be provided in the school lunchroom prior to the workshops each day. For more information contact the 21st Century Learning Center at the high school at 574-2020 or call 573-4330, extension 2017.
- African Drum and Dance at Cawood Elementary
- Cumberland has Successful Academic Season, Three Advance to State Finals
- The Harlan County
High School Drama Department
Invites You to: Alice In Wonderland. The Public performance will be
Sunday, March 3rd @ 2 p.m. Tickets will be: $5 for adults; $2 for students. Students have tickets on sale now, but you may purchase tickets at the door. Give us a call at 606-574-2020 ext 3534 or email email@example.com for more information.
- The second annual “Passing for a Purpose” Quarterback/Wide Received camp will be held Saturday, May 18, from 9 a.m.- 3.p.m. at the Coal Miner’s Memorial Stadium located on the campus of Harlan County High School. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to register. Be sure to include name, age, shirt size, and contact information including email address, phone number and mailing address if you register.
- Harlan County students participate in Honor Band events
- The fifth annual Black Bear Baseball Camp will be held Saturday, March 2, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for youth ages 7 and up. Guest speakers will be announced. For more information or questions, contact Coach John Lewis at 573-5560.
- The Harlan County High School Jazz Band, Concert Band, Choir and the Percussion Ensemble will present a concert for the public on May 2, at 7 p.m. in the Harlan County High School Theater.
The public is invited to attend.
Parental Involvement is a combination of commitment and active participation on the part of the parent to the school and to the student. A child's ideas about education and its significance begin with the parent and for students to achieve at a high level, parents must play an active role in the educational processes of their children.
Dr. Joyce Epstein - "When parents, teachers, students, and others view one another as partners in education, a caring community forms around students and begins its work."
Please feel free to contact us with questions and comments about our District and find out how you can help make a difference in our children's lives.