Are you missing out on events taking place in the Harlan County School District? If so, sign up today for the HCPS news service which delivers school and district information to your email in a timely manner.
A variety of informational items are distributed with busy parents and active community members in mind. If you wish to receive this information, send your email and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org or use the form to the right.
As always, we thank you for taking the time to show an interest in our schools and playing an active role in the lives of not only our students, but our faculty and administration as a whole.
Information Numbers added at HCHS:
Now you have the opportunity to call and receive cancellation information from Harlan County High School. Two numbers are available to access up-to-date information about the School, Clubs, Activities, Sporting Events and more at HCHS. To access general closing/cancellation information on Clubs, School, Activities, and Meetings call (606) 574-2099. For Athletic Events and Practice cancellation call (606) 574-2098.
Announcements, Upcoming and Current Events:
- Students who are sixteen (16) or seventeen (17) years old and become academically deficient or deficient in attendance shall be reported to the Transportation Cabinet for driver’s license, permit or driving privilege revocation. The following document will provide specific information regarding 'No Pass, No Drive': DRIVER’S LICENSE REVOCATION
- For a parents guide to school accountability and testing, please click here.
See the brochures and text versions near the bottom of the page.
- Buy A Brick! Honor A Miner! Harlan County High School Coal Miners’ Memorial Stadium Phase I Construction is currently underway. Show your support by honoring or memorializing your coal mining loved one or show your support for Harlan County Coal in general. The new stadium will feature a walkway with engraved brick pavers. In years to come you will be able to bring your children and grandchildren to the “Miners Walk” to see your family name as a permanent legacy of Harlan County Coal Miners’ Memorial Stadium. Information & Details, Sample Wording, Order Form
- The Harlan County Walking Club hours for this school year will be Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. on the indoor track at Harlan County High School. Membership is free and open to the public. All ages are welcome to walk or jog at their own pace. For more information, contact Cecilia Adams, Harlan County Community Education Director, at 573-4330 ext. 2061.
- The Harlan County Board of Education meeting schedule for 2013 has been set. Please click here for a printable copy.
- 2013 - 2014 School Calendar
- 2013-2014 Bus Routes
- For all Harlan Co. Staff: 704 KAR 7:160 requires that “all school personnel” receive 4 hours of restraint and seclusion training prior to the first day of school. We are also being required to document training on bullying & suicide prevention, workplace safety, bloodborne pathogens, and confidentiality. In order to get all these training completed prior to the start of school each school has decided to host a mandatory professional development trainings on August 5th beginning at 9:00 AM. We believe we can get all of these requirements completed in one day and be ready to begin the school year on our scheduled opening day of August 6th . All teachers, clerical personnel, and custodians should report to their respective schools on August 5th at 9:00. 6 hours of PD credit will be awarded.
Instructional assistants are not required to report on August 5th and will receive their training separately on opening day (August 6th).
Transportation, maintenance, technology, and food service employees are having their trainings at HCHS on August 2nd beginning at 8:00 AM.
Substitute teachers may attend the training at HCHS on August 2nd or they may attend a training at the school of their choice on August 5th.
If you attended the 12 hour training conducted by Mr. Rezek please notify your principal so arrangements can be made for you to view/participate in the other required trainings.
We apologize for any inconvenience, but we know of no other way to ensure compliance with this new law. If you have questions please contact your school principal.
- Pee Wee Football and cheerleading signups will be Friday, Aug. 2, 5-7 p.m., near the James A. Cawood Elementary School and the Harlan County Board of Education. Signups will also be on Saturday, Aug. 3rd, 9 a.m. to noon at the same location.
Pee Wee Football players must be in 3rd and 4th grade only.
The registration fee is $35. An up to date physical and proof of insurance must be presented before practicing.
Pee Wee Cheerleaders must be in Kindergarten thru 4th grade. Registration fee is $35. - August 5th: HCHS will have a mandatory PD on August 5th from 9:00 - 3:00 in the auditorium. It is very important that all staff attend this PD as it will consist of the beginning of the year teachers meeting and mandatory training due before school starts. 6 hours of PD credit will be offered. - August 6th: Freshman Orientation for HCHS will be held on Tuesday, August 6th from 1:00 - 3:00 and is also opening day for teachers. Staff should dress to meet parents on this day and freshman teachers will need to be in the auditorium on the stage. - Harlan County Schools will open the 2013-2014 school year on Wednesday, Aug. 7.
Prior to the start of school, several open house events have been scheduled:
Black Mountain Elementary School: Open house will be from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 6. There will be a meet and greet with teachers, food and inflatables.
Cawood Elementary School: Open house will be Tuesday, Aug. 6, from noon to 2 p.m.
Cumberland Elementary School’s Back to School Blowout will be Friday (Aug. 2) at 6 p.m. at the school. There will be free backpacks and school supplies. Entertainment will be provided by “Puppets with a Purpose.” Parents or guardians must accompany students to pick up supplies. There will be door prizes given away. Call 589-2914 for more information.
Evarts Elementary School: Open house will be Tuesday, Aug. 6, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. There will be meet and greet opportunities for students and parents. Food will be served.
Green Hills Elementary School: Open house will be Tuesday Aug. 6 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. There will be inflatables, live music, information booths and refreshments for parents and students.
Harlan County High School: Freshman orientation is Tuesday, August 6, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
James A. Cawood Elementary School: Open house will be Tuesday, Aug. 6, from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. There will be drawings for rolling backpacks full of school supplies. Two bicycles will be given away.
Rosspoint Elementary School: Open house will be Tuesday, Aug. 6, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Wallins Elementary School: Open house will be Tuesday, Aug. 6, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. There will be school supplies, opportunities to meet teachers, information tables and enrollment for any new students in grades K-8.
Parental Involvement is a combination of commitment and active participation on the part of the parent to the school and to the student. A child's ideas about education and its significance begin with the parent and for students to achieve at a high level, parents must play an active role in the educational processes of their children.
Dr. Joyce Epstein - "When parents, teachers, students, and others view one another as partners in education, a caring community forms around students and begins its work."
Please feel free to contact us with questions and comments about our District and find out how you can help make a difference in our children's lives.